Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Breastfeed or not to Breastfeed?




This is the question that many first time or even 2nd or 3rd time mommies face right before baby arrives. When it comes to breastfeeding, you need to remember that it takes a GOOD 6 weeks for you and baby to get the hang of things. Some babies are pros from the get go, while others take a little work and alot of patience.

A few questions to ask yourself:
1. Do I want to breastfeed or do I want to formula feed? Only you can make that decision. Don't let the fear of the unknown swing your decision either way. Studies show that any breastmilk is better than not receiving any at all.


2. Do I have a support system? This is KEY in successfully breastfeeding your baby. You need to have your husband or who ever will be the primary helper in caring for the baby. You need them to remind you that you CAN do it!


I constantly hear from the older generation the following comments:

* Your milk is no good, he is always eating.

* I never had enough to feed mine.

* Give him a bottle, you need your rest.


My comments would be:

I have learned that my milk is fine and baby is gaining weight like a champ. Caleb just happens to be a snacker instead of a baby at the breast for long sessions of nursing.


Every women has enough milk to feed their babies. It is all supply and demand. The more you feed, the more you produce. We often get scared since our breast do not have hash marks like the bottle. Fact is that a baby can empty a breast as fast as a bottle.


I choose not to give a bottle, I run a company from home and nursing is so easy once you get the hang of it. You should try nursing laying down. Very relaxing!


3. How do i nurse in public? There are many different options for breastfeeding moms to try or use for this purpose. I have created the Under Wraps Nursing Poncho for this reason. I needed something that did not let my left over baby belly hang out and draw attention to myself. The bib style just did not cut it for me. The Under Wraps Nursing Poncho is very light weight and breathable fabric. I have nursed in church, family events, at the beach and the list goes on. Most people have no idea that I have a baby underneath having his dinner.


4. Do I need to buy anything for breastfeeding? Depending on your lifestyle, you may want to invest in a good breastpump. I would personally recommend the Medela line. I have had my same pump since 2000 and it is now on the 4th baby. Worth the money! I would also recommend nursing bras. There are so many new ones out there. You will be wearing them all the time. Go ahead and spend the money on ones that last. From my experience working in the maternity industry the last 5 years, nursing tops are not really neccessary. You can wear your favorite top and utilize the same nursing cover up or nursing poncho 24/7.

No matter what you choose for your baby, a mother always does what is best!
For more information about the Under Wraps Nursing Poncho, please visit, www.Victorialaurin.com.

No comments: