Saturday, September 27, 2008

3D/ 4D Ultrasounds


From the moment you find out that there are 2 blue lines on the pregnancy test, you start dreaming of what this little peanut looks like. Or at least, I did. Technology has changed over the last 8 years. With my first baby who was born in 2000, I had 1 ultrasound at 20 weeks pregnant. That was only chance to get that blurred black and white view of the child that I was carrying.


Flash forward 8 years. I had the pleasure of experiencing a 3/4D Ultrasound with my youngest child. Who knew that I could opt out of the amino test and have a ultrasound at 16 weeks pregnant. The 16 week test was to rule out birth defects. I of course wanted to know if there were any problems with the baby, but secretly I wanted to know if I was having a baby girl. I already had 1 girl (8) and 2 sons (5 & 3). The tech couldn't tell me for sure what I was having. I was ready to clean out the baby stuff and get rid of clutter in my home.

I contacted Erica at Look Who's Kickin Ultrasounds in Lutz. She told me to come in and we would take a peek. Within a few moments, I saw that I was having another BOY! Another son, I was really in for it! Just to see him on the big screen and in color and 4D was amazing. He was still a little peanut at that time. Maybe a 1/2 pound.

This was just a tease for me and I had to go when he was more fully developed. I scheduled a ultrasound at 28 weeks. I took my children so they could meet their new baby brother. They saw mommies belly expanding but really couldn't put things together. My in laws went and my husband. I was amazing to see Caleb on the screen moving around and dealing with hiccups. The kids were so happy to see the baby that would soon be here. It was finally real. Erica at Look Who's Kickin wanted me to come back at 30 weeks once he was a little fatter. I had no problem taking another peek at my last baby. He looked just like my other 2 sons. Identical that is!My in-laws were in awe and were so happy that they could experience this with us.

At 30 weeks, I went in for another sneak peek and Caleb was indeed chunkier and worked with the sonographer to get the perfect pictures. I left each visit with a CD of the baby, pictures and priceless moments with my unborn child. This is a luxury item of course, but once the baby arrives, this is not something you can go back and have a do over on.

When checking in your own geographic area for a ultrasound sonographer, you might consider the following.
  • Are they licensed as a sonographer or just someone who bought into a franchise and opened the doors.
  • Have they previously worked in the field with pregnant women? They may see something that you want your OB to check into. You will have a CD to take to the OB.
I was able to capture a moment in time with my unborn child. I was able to see all the curves in his face long before I could hold in my arms. This is definitely something I will treasure forever. A special thank you from the bottom of my heart and belly to Look Who's Kickin in Lutz. If you want more information, please call 813-909-8080 or visit http://www.lookwhoskickin.com/.




No comments: